The tradition of offering a specific, symbolic gift for each wedding anniversary has been around for centuries. The order of these gifts represents the strengthening of a marriage relationship and celebrates a couple’s investment of time and commitment.
A twenty-fifth wedding anniversary calls for silver, while couples fortunate enough to make it to their fiftieth year, receive gold. But what’s in store for newlyweds marking their first year of marriage? The traditional gift is paper, which signifies ideas and symbols.
My first wedding anniversary has arrived and my husband and I will be putting together an album with some of our favorite images from the big day such as the one above, as well as more of our most beloved moments like those seen here on Style Me Pretty!
It was hard to nail down a single paper gift because there are so many imaginative ways to interpret the custom. In case you happen to be celebrating that first, sweet year as husband and wife and are stumped by the paper gift, here are some inspired ideas to get you started.
*Update: You can now read the second installment of this post here: Second Wedding Anniversary Gift Ideas.
1. Tickets to an event.
2. A plane ticket or a printed itinerary for a vacation or trip.
3. An extra large print of a meaningful image.
4. A book that’s significant to your spouse. An e-reader is a fun twist to this gift.
5. A handwritten letter.
6. An album of your wedding images.
7. A tree or plant that can grow in your garden.
8. A map that you can mark with your future travel aspirations.
9. A scrapbook that you can make together.
10. Gift certificates.
11. A framed printed version of your wedding vows.
12. A painting.
13. A license, pass, or membership such as a fishing license or gym membership.
14. Do a photo-shoot together and get the images printed or make an album. Or, do a boudoir photo shoot for your significant other’s eyes only.
15. A journal. Keep a journal of your first year of marriage and then present it to your spouse for your anniversary.
16. A card. Handwritten sentiments are always the best.
17. A subscription to your spouse’s favorite publication.
18. New stationary.
19. A craft that you can do together like a paper mosaic or a collage.
20. A thoughtful poem.
21. A sketch made from a scene of your wedding.
22. Handmade paper flowers.
23. Paper goods for the home. Many companies make very unique items out of recycled materials.
24. A printed music sheet of your first dance song—this is great for those who play an instrument.
25. The deed to a house or another purchase you’ve made together.
Anniversaries are a time for reflection, sharing memories, and strengthening relationships. But, giving a small token of appreciation to your loved one is a fun way to commemorate the years gone by. Happy anniversary to all the couples out there!