When I hanker after a sugary treat, I always go for chocolate. The darker, the better. A good quality piece of dark chocolate is enough of an indulgence on its own. On occasion however, I enjoy a bit of variety.
For an easy way to elevate chocolate, make a batch of bark with tasty toppings. The best part about this dessert? It’s extremely simple to put together. Plus, you can play around with your favorite flavor pairings. There’s no need to limit your creativity!
For this recipe, I combined chopped pistachios and dried cranberries. Sweet and tart, cranberries complement the pistachio’s spicy, nutty taste. If you want to experiment with other ingredients, remember that opposites attract. Pair sweet and salty flavors, crunchy and chewy textures, and fresh and savory notes for a bite that will satisfy all your cravings.
Cranberry-Pistachio Dark Chocolate Bark
-good quality dark chocolate pieces.
*Note: I happened to find a 1-lb pure Belgium chocolate bar on sale at the store so I used this as my chocolate base. Feel free to use any chocolate you like in the baking isle.
1. Line a large baking pan with parchment paper. Let the paper hang over the sides.
2. Melt your chocolate pieces in a heat-proof bowl over a pot of simmering water. Stir often so the chocolate doesn’t burn.
3. Evenly pour the melted chocolate onto the baking sheet. Use a wooden spoon to smooth out the chocolate.
4. Immediately sprinkle the toppings onto the chocolate. Be generous!
5. Refrigerate until firm (about 1 hour). When chocolate is ready, peel off of parchment paper and break into pieces. Enjoy and store leftovers in the fridge.
Have you tried making chocolate bark at home? What are your favorite toppings?